I don’t know about you, but nothing irks me more than buying a new clothing item or dress and only wearing it once. We have all been guilty of this at one point or another; we buy something new, wear it once, then it sits in the closet for years to come.
Most people only wear 40% of their wardrobe! While changing your mindset when you're shopping and adopting a more minimalist wardrobe can be one way to solve this issue, trying clothing and dress rental online is another!
Online clothing rental websites are on the rise! We no longer have to sit beside our closets with mountains of clothes around us and wonder what to do with old clothes.
When we rent our clothes and dresses online, we aren’t buying new items in the first place! It’s genius and is a wonderful way to adopt more sustainable and ethical fashion choices while reducing our carbon footprints.
Best Fashion Rental Websites
There are many factors to consider when choosing a rental website. First, if you are looking for items for everyday wear, a monthly subscription (rather than a one-off rental) might be a better option for you.
If you want to take it one step further, try peer-to-peer renting! Renting online from individuals who list their pre-worn, pre-loved garments and handbags is another great option to support the sharing economy and keep textile waste out of landfills.
With Armoire’s quick five-minute quiz, you can rent from a personalized rental closet of designer brands. The coolest part is that their style algorithm improves with each new selection you make, your likes and dislikes, and reviews, giving you better recommendations every time!
Armoire is not only focused on making you look good but also on giving back to the community. They have partnered with Dress for Success Seattle to extend their garments' lives and support needy women.
Through your membership, donations are made to Dress for Success Seattle, which helps provide job training, financial education, and employment for women.
Armoire offers a variety of subscription plans tailored to fit different budgets and wardrobe needs, ensuring you always have a stylish outfit ready to wear.
- The Wardrobe Pick-Me-Up (4-Item Plan):
- Price: $79/month ($69 for the first month)
- Rent 4 items per case
- 1 case per month
- The Wardrobe Enhancer (7-Item Plan):
- Price: $119/month ($89 for the first month)
- Rent 7 items per case
- 1 case per month
- The Wardrobe Replacer (Unlimited Plan) - Most Popular:
- Price: $249/month ($139 for the first month)
- Rent 6 items per case
- Unlimited cases per month
Every plan includes the following benefits:
- Free shipping and returns
- Access to Armoire's full inventory
- Coverage of minor damages
- Free cleaning (no laundry!)
- Ability to cancel or pause your subscription anytime
- Free personal styling services
Rocksbox is an innovative jewelry rental membership service that allows you to effortlessly explore new styles, embrace the latest trends, and expand your collection without the commitment of purchasing. As a member, you'll receive three hand-picked jewelry pieces to wear and refresh as often as you'd like. If you fall in love with a piece, use your monthly credit to buy it!
Return the set when you're ready for new jewelry; they'll send you more. You have the ultimate flexibility with no limit on monthly sets and the option to apply membership credits towards any piece in your set. Plus, you can cancel anytime, with no strings attached!
Haverdash is a fresh and exciting online style streaming subscription service that makes dressing up fun and effortless. Say goodbye to the pressure of re-wearing outfits and making compromises between practicality and fabulousness.
For a flat monthly fee, Haverdash provides women access to a curated closet of fashion rentals, including tops, shirts, skirts, jeans, pants, dresses, jackets, and more.
To get started, explore their styles and build your virtual closet, with new looks added weekly. You'll receive three styles from your closet delivered to your door, which you can wear once or as often as you'd like.
When you're ready for a new box, return all the items in the provided pre-paid bag, and Haverdash will take care of the dry cleaning. You can enjoy free shipping and unlimited rotations, trying out as many outfits as you can wear, and return throughout the month.
If you find items you can't live without, you can purchase them at a discounted price. Haverdash offers free shipping, returns, and dry cleaning for a seamless experience.
Embrace a better way to dress with Haverdash, where life's too _____ to wear the same thing twice!
4. Bag Romance
Bag Romance is a luxury handbag rental service that makes it easy for you to enjoy designer bags without the commitment of purchasing them. The process is simple:
- Browse top brands and choose from a luxe, curated collection of bags.
- Complete the easy checkout process to reserve your bag for 7 or 30 days.
- Receive the latest designer bag at your doorstep, and keep it as long as you like.
- Drop it off at UPS when you're done – returns and cleaning are free.
Bag Romance offers a stunning collection curated from around the globe, specializing exclusively in luxury bags from top designers. Their inventory includes brand-new bags purchased directly from designers or authorized retailers and pre-loved and vintage options.
Each bag is carefully inspected for condition and authenticity, with the status noted on the product page as "New," "Pristine," "Pre-Loved," or "Vintage. They have top designer brands like Balenciaga, Saint Laurent, Gucci, and more!
Gwynnie Bee is a unique clothing service that offers unlimited styles for women, allowing you to enjoy a constantly changing wardrobe without wearing the same outfit twice. With free shipping and unlimited returns, Gwynnie Bee makes it easy to try, wear, love, repeat, or keep your favorite pieces.
Here's how it works:
- TRY: Explore top brands and curated collections, then add styles to your online closet.
- WEAR: Receive the latest trends delivered to your door and wear them as much as you want.
- LOVE: Discover new styles launched weekly and express your fashion style.
- REPEAT: Wear and return items with free shipping.
- or -
- KEEP: Fall in love with an item? Buy it for less than the retail price.
Founded over eleven years ago, Gwynnie Bee's mission is to help women discover, experience, and enjoy great clothing without limitations. The founders believe fashion can transform your sense of self, making you look and feel amazing.
6. Le Tote
Le Tote allows you to enjoy a constantly rotating wardrobe with endless style combinations. Choose the items you love, receive them at your doorstep, wear them as much as you want, and decide whether to return or keep them.
How it works:
- Add your favorite styles to your tote.
- Get your tote delivered in 2-3 days with free shipping.
- Wear the items as many times as you want.
- Keep what you love for up to 50% off the retail and return the rest.
Explore Le Tote's memberships and pick the plan that suits you best:
- Four clothing items per month
- Unlimited totes with free 2-3 day shipping
- Environmentally friendly cleaning process for hassle-free laundry
- Three clothing items and two accessories per month
- Unlimited totes with free 2-3 day shipping
- Environmentally friendly cleaning process for hassle-free laundry
7. Vince Unfold
Vince Unfold is a versatile subscription service offering you access to the latest and most fashionable styles for a flat monthly fee.
Based in Los Angeles, Vince is renowned for its elevated yet understated pieces for everyday wear. Inspired by the brand's California origins, the collections exude warmth and effortless style, making dressing a breeze.
Vince designs refined, uncomplicated clothing that suits a range of luxury tastes. The brand offers women's and men's ready-to-wear collections, shoes, home items, and handbags tailored for a global lifestyle.
Their versatile product line includes slacks, skirts, jackets, blouses, and suit sets, ensuring you always look stylish and on-trend.
With Vince Unfold, you can browse new styles every week, maintain 10+ items in your Edit, and receive 4 items at a time to wear as often as you like.
When you're ready to update your wardrobe, return the items using the pre-paid bag and exchange them at your own pace throughout the month. Shipping and returns are always free. If you fall in love with a piece, you can keep it and own it at a discounted price.
Top Online Dress Rental Companies
I briefly mentioned renting designer gowns online, but did you know you can also find other expensive items like vintage clothing labels or wedding dresses on fashion rental sites? All without destroying the budget OR the planet!
Here are some tips on how to pick the perfect rental dress for your next event.
Invited to a holiday party? Choose a dress that hits at the knee or mid-calf and is form-fitting, but not super tight or too revealing.
RSVP to a wedding? Choose a dress that isn’t white (obviously…) and is a color that suits the season. For spring or summer weddings, try a soft pastel tone. Opt for dark navy or red wine for winter or fall weddings.
Just found out you're going to be a mama. Renting is the way to go for your growing belly! When renting, choose fabrics with a little more stretch to be comfortable all day.
Here are some of the best fashion rental websites you should check out for dresses:
Your Favorite Dresses (YFD) is an online platform that provides a seamless and convenient dress rental experience. They offer various designer dresses for various occasions, making it easier to find the perfect outfit without purchasing one.
How it works:
- Explore their collection of dresses, and select the one that best suits your style and event.
- RChoose the date for your event and your preferred dress size, then reserve your dress online.
- Your dress will be shipped to you, arriving on or before your reservation date.
- After wearing the dress, return it in the prepaid package provided by YFD.
Rent the Runway is probably one of the best places for renting designer gowns. You can choose from a massive selection of clothing and occasion-specific pieces. Their website has a cool feature to browse photos from people renting from them.
With one-time rentals and membership options, you can access a constantly rotating selection of designer styles without breaking the bank.
How Rent The Runway Works:
- Reserve styles for a specific date and keep them for 4 or 8 days.
- Select a delivery date 1-2 days before your event and receive a free backup size with every order.
- Your rentals arrive dry-cleaned, ready to wear, and can be kept until the original due date.
- Return your items using the included prepaid shipping label.
- Pick a plan: Choose from various options, starting with five items at a time and deciding how many monthly shipments you want.
- Customize your plan: Add or remove monthly spots and shipments based on your needs.
- Browse and select available styles to rent, including dresses, tops, jeans, handbags, and accessories.
- Receive your items via 2-day shipping, dry cleaned, and ready to wear in a reusable garment bag.
- Mix, match, wear, and repeat: Style and wear your items for as long as you like, then swap them for new items or purchase the ones you can't part with.
10. The Fitzroy
Founded in 2016, The Fitzroy is Canada's leading dress rental service. They offer an elevated, meticulously curated collection of brand-new designer dream dresses, jumpsuits, two-piece suits, and accessories, sourced and selected from all over the world and made available to rent for any occasion where you need to get fancy.
They offer a welcoming, inclusive, and non-judgmental space with no appointment. You can drop in whenever it's convenient for you, try on as many options as you want with the help of knowledgeable stylists, and either walk out with a rental that day or reserve one for use later. Their pieces can also be rented online, with easy two-way shipping Canada-wide.
- Browse: All inventory is listed on the website, and you can search by type of event or occasion, type of item, color, size, or designer. Dresses and bags can be rented anywhere in Canada with easy shipping options.
- Try: In the Toronto area. You can visit the studio for walk-in fittings seven days a week. Not in Toronto? Schedule a virtual fitting or email email@example.com with questions about size or fit.
- Book: Reserve your item for your event date online, in person, or by phone. Choose your size, date, and rental duration when adding to your cart, then select between easy two-way shipping or pick-up options at checkout.
- Return: Your item(s) will come with a pre-paid, pre-addressed Canada Post box for easy returns. Drop it off at a Canada Post mailbox or your local Canada Post office on the last day of your rental term. You can also drop your rental off in person at the studio using the drop-box in their front window. There's no need to dry clean the dress - The Fitzroy handles all dry cleaning in-house.
Beyond The Runway is Canada's premiere designer dress and purse rental company, providing a wide range of stylish options for various occasions such as cocktail parties, weddings, proms, receptions, galas, birthdays, dinners, business events, and even work.
They offer monthly subscription packages with free shipping and return across Canada to make the rental process convenient and enjoyable.
Their Silver and Gold Membership plans are flexible and tailored to your needs, ensuring you can find the perfect designer outfit for any event.
By offering top designer brands, Beyond The Runway enables customers to elevate their wardrobes and enjoy high-quality fashion without the commitment of purchasing. This makes it easy to experiment with different styles and always look your best, no matter the occasion.
Men's Clothing Rental Online: No Longer Just for Women
For the males reading this article, I haven’t forgotten about you! Or maybe you are looking for a gift for your partner, brother, or father. Why not sign them up for online clothing and dress rental services? Here are two of my favorites items and services available for men:
Taelor is a clothing rental service designed specifically for men, offering a subscription-based model that includes a variety of benefits.
With a Taelor membership, you can enjoy wearing clothes for weeks, receive personalized styling services from a personal stylist and artificial intelligence, and benefit from free shipping and dry cleaning. Additionally, members can purchase items at discounted prices, up to 70% off.
Each shipment contains five clothing items, with a wide range of high-quality styles such as shirts, sweaters, button-ups, jackets, polos, pants, and more.
You can subscribe to their "2 shipments per month" plan, with the second shipment sent when you return or purchase the items from the first shipment. You can pay the discounted member price through your account if you keep any items.
Taelor's mission is to help individuals build confidence in their appearance and feel their best when connecting with others. They focus on saving customers' time and effort by providing a constantly updated wardrobe without the hassle of shopping.
13. The Devout
The Devout is a sustainable fashion rental service that provides a convenient and eco-friendly way to refresh your wardrobe every month. With an average value of £500 worth of clothes in every box, The Devout allows you to enjoy new clothes without the guilt of harming the environment.
Their membership includes delivery, laundry, and insurance so you can easily swap items monthly.
The process of using The Devout is simple:
- Join: Choose a plan that suits your budget and preferences and get set up in seconds.
- Shop: Browse through their outfits for all occasions and place your order.
- Enjoy: Wear your rentals as often as you like. Damages and laundry are included in the service, so you don't need to worry about those.
- Swap: After your renewal, you can swap your items for new ones or keep some longer. The choice is yours.
If you're not ready for a monthly subscription, The Devout offers a one-off, 7-day rental for £19. This allows you to enjoy the benefits of their rental service without committing to a plan.
You can enjoy free delivery and returns, insurance, and cleaning when you choose a plan. For new members, The Devout offers 50% off your first month with the code GETSTARTED.
Their flexible clothing rental subscription allows you to explore thousands of styles for every occasion and season, making dressing up more exciting and sustainable.
Kids Rental Clothing: Adorable and Affordable Options
Kids grow so fast that keeping a wardrobe of clothes that fit them can be tough. This is why kids' rental clothing is a GREAT solution! Here are some popular online retailers for children's clothing rental:
14. Rainey’s Closet
Rainey's Closet is a unique solution for parents who want to dress their children in stylish and special occasion outfits without spending a fortune on clothes that will only be worn once.
Inspired by the founder's experience trying to coordinate outfits for family photos, Rainey's Closet provides access to limited-run designer clothing, hard-to-find styles, and matching accessories for children.
Here's how it works:
- Search & Select: Browse the collection by category, size, brand, date, or color. Reserve your items for 5 or 10 days, and add accessories to complete the perfect look.
- Fall In Love: When the items arrive, have your child(ren) try everything on and fall in love with the stylish and unique outfits.
- Goodbyes Are Easy: When it's time to return the items, place everything in the original packaging and ship it back using the free return label provided. Rainey's Closet takes care of everything else, including cleaning.
Rainey's Closet allows parents to dress their children for special occasions, photo sessions, birthdays, or flower girl duties. It offers a convenient and cost-effective way to achieve a fashionable look for their little ones.
15. Rent a Romper
Rent a Romper is a sustainable clothing rental service designed for busy parents who want to reduce their consumption and save time, money, and space while providing their children with adorable outfits. The service offers a worry-free trial, allowing parents to try different sizes, styles, and brands without commitment.
Key benefits of Rent a Romper:
- Save space: Instead of storing unused clothes, they can be returned and loved by other families.
- Avoid emotional landmines: Keep memories in photos rather than in under-bed storage bins.
- Save money: Memberships start at just $24, offering a whole month of clothes for the cost of one outfit.
- Save the planet: Rent-a-Romper helps keep clothing in circulation and reduces textile waste.
- Premium Capsule: A curated mix of organic brands that parents love, with unlimited swaps, free shipping, and the ability to cancel anytime.
- Essentials Capsule: A curated mix of popular brands that parents love, with unlimited swaps, free shipping, and the ability to cancel anytime.
To get started, choose the number of items you want (7 or 15 items), the gender of the clothing (boys, girls, or unisex), and the size needed. The membership renews monthly, allowing you to swap as often as you'd like and cancel anytime.
Pro tip: Do your kids constantly wear through the knees of their clothes? I would suggest looking into online clothing repair options. This is a much more sustainable alternative than buying something new whenever their clothes get rips or tears.
Tips for a Seamless Online Clothing Rental Experience
Here is how to get the best fit, style, and experience from online rental websites:
- If your event is local, choose a rental period from four days out or eight days if you are going abroad. This will ensure you have enough time to make changes if your items don’t fit right.
- I recommend getting insurance if you rent a designer or luxury item with a higher value. It’s better to be safe than sorry!
- Look into the company’s return policies before renting your garment.
- Take your measurements with a measuring tape beforehand… Oftentimes, rental websites will have very specific measurements for their items available so that you can increase the chances of your item fitting just right!
- While I truly believe you can rock anything, think about the style of the occasion the dress or clothing item will be for. Don’t go overboard!
Pro tip: Learning how to read clothing labels can be super helpful when renting (or shopping for) clothing online. Avoid plastic-based fabrics like polyester and choose more durable, natural fabrics like organic cotton and hemp.
A final word on Fashion Rental Online
There are so many benefits to shopping from online dress rental companies…
First and foremost, online shopping is so convenient and saves time. When shopping online, you can quickly compare prices and styles from multiple stores in just a few minutes. This also goes for thrifting, which is how I found some of the best online thrift stores.
Renting clothes (especially dresses) online also gives you access to designer brands you might not otherwise be able to afford. I don't know about you, but there is no way I am dropping thousands of dollars on a fancy dress I might wear a few times.
When you switch to online clothing and dress rental, you will pay a fraction of the price, allowing you to wear something beautiful and special.
Renting your clothes also allows you to embrace the Five R’s of Zero waste truly, and that is through reuse! Circular fashion is all about taking a more sustainable approach to how our clothes are designed and produced and consuming them in a way that contributes to a more closed-loop system…AKA, reuse your clothes whenever you can!
I highly recommend you read my article on the worst fast fashion brands to know what companies aren’t contributing to circularity in the fashion industry.
There are many benefits when it comes to renting your clothes online. You are giving something old a new life and keeping it out of the landfill.
Each American throws out an estimated 70 pounds of clothing in the US yearly. We are all responsible for helping to reduce this number. If you found this post helpful, please help someone by sharing this article – Sharing is caring 🙂!