Every eco diva's toolkit needs to have a really good all-purpose cleaner. One that is safe, effective, and easy to make. This Homemade All-Purpose Cleaner With Citrus is one of my favorites because you can use it anywhere in your home (like inside cupboards, or fridge/freezer, and all bathroom surfaces) and it smells amazing.
I have combined three citrus essential oils, and each of them has bang-up cleaning properties.
Homemade All-Purpose Cleaner Ingredients:
1. Vinegar: Versatile and safe to use on almost anything in your home (I'd shy away from granite and marble). Vinegar is an amazing cleaner on its own and when paired with certain ingredients, but not castile soap, baking soda, or hydrogen peroxide.
2. Rubbing Alcohol: It's one of the best cleaning agents in the world, but you probably won't find it in the cleaning aisle, but rather in the first-aid aisle. It does have a strong smell, so make sure you are in a well-ventilated area when making this recipe. This solvent is a really good disinfectant too. You can also use rubbing alcohol to clean your sponges or cloths, just soak them in a bowl for 10 minutes and rinse. It's also an excellent cleaner for stainless steel…. bye-bye fingerprints. YAY.
Make sure you store it properly, it is highly flammable so keep it away from heat.
3. Essential oils: These are really concentrated oils derived from plants that have both medicinal and cleaning properties, depending on what you are using. I use them quite a bit in both my skincare recipes and cleaning recipes. Many of them are anti-bacterial (tea tree), anti-fungal (lemon), and simply smell beautiful too. They are a great way to add a soft fragrance to your home without worrying about all the crap in conventional fragrances and cleaners. Using essential oils in the home is a very effective way to keep your home clean and smelling amazing.
4. Lemon: Lemon is one of the most “essential” oils to have on hand and can be used as a teeth whitener, laundry freshener, cellulite cream, face wash, household cleaner, or even natural laundry detergent. It's so purifying and the smell is lovely (I think I said that already).
5. Lime: Like lemon essential oil, it has antibacterial, antiseptic, and antiviral properties. Orange: great scent and a really great degreaser.
DIY All-purpose cleaner Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup Vinegar
- 1/2 cup Distilled water
- 2 tbsp Rubbing alcohol
- 5 drops Lemon essential oil
- 5 drops of Lime essential oil
- 5 drops of Orange essential oil
- Combine in a clean spray bottle, shake and clean!
- Spray directly onto the surface and wipe clean
- Store in a cool, dark place
You can use other essential oils in the cleaner too - tea tree, eucalyptus, and pine will provide a beautiful scent too. Remember to do a patch test before using.
A few other things to keep in mind when cleaning your home:
Open the Windows, even in the winter. Leave them open for about 10 minutes a day, this is going to air out all the VOCs that may be lingering about and freshen the space as well (in the summer if you have allergies, I urge caution).
Use microfiber cloths to clean, they are built to last, I color-code each room and keep them handy, use them as you like, then toss them in the wash. No waste. No-fuss. If waste is something you are worried about, I've got a comprehensive guide on how to make your cleaning zero waste. And if DIY is not your vibe, that's okay, you can take a look at these natural cleaning products, or these eco cleaners that disinfect and you'll need a good mop when using the DIY all-purpose cleaner!
If you love a good DIY, make sure to check out the following articles:
There is nothing better than detoxing your home using cleaners that are safe, effective, and cheap to make. A good all-purpose cleaner is a must-have in your home and trust me you'll love this once you try it. The essential oils I have chosen for you will halo your home smell amazing and keep it free of nasty toxins as well. Do you like to use essential oils in your home? Let me know in the comments.
If you found this post helpful, please help someone by sharing this article – sharing is caring 🙂!